Aspie with Attitude

Sure, I'm just another Southern Recovering Alcoholic NPR- and Sweet-Tea Addicted Comic Mom with Asperger's in the SFV, but I can tell you now that I don't necessarily fit the stereotype.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Visit from a Census Worker

He came to the Gingerbread House door today and just stood there, waiting for me to open it. Yes, we have a tight schedule today and no, I didn't have time for a census worker questionnaire, but my schedule should not have mattered because we filled out the form and sent it in. Nonetheless, "Joe," as he asked me to call him, even though his nametag said "Joseph," told me that they had no received it. It was a scary thing to have him at the door; I didn't know him from Adam's housecat. But because he was wearing his official census worker jacket (which looks like the official road worker jacket, i.e., the yellow and orange safety thing), I was supposed to trust this guy. I told him that five people live in our house, he asked me if I wanted to say their names and ages and I told him "No." "Constitutionally, that's all you need to know," I told him, after telling him there were five people here.

According to Joe's story, he needed to confirm he'd been here or we'd be getting even more visits, even more interruptions to my yoga or our book reports or our blessing before the meal or whatever else they are willing to interrupt. Mr. Thinking Mama said to give him his name, which I did (no, his real name isn't Mr. Thinking Mama and no, that's not what I told Census Joe) and a phone number (not our home phone) so that Joe will not get into trouble. I kinda liked Joe, actually; I felt as though he was probably some displaced social wrecker or computer programmer. And it really was hard to tell which with Joe. He complimented me on our flag as he was leaving, after he'd written down "5" and my husband's information, and he told me that not many people fly flags these days. I felt somewhat bonded with Joe by that time and told him that we'd had it up since July 4th and that we indeed need to take it down.

"Just shine a light on it at night," he said, as he walked down the Gingerbread House walk and onto the sidewalk.

"Thank you!" I said, and I really meant it. Joe's just doing his job, which is more than I can say for many people. I felt a little sorry for him, out in this heat doing the Constitutional and unConstitutional bidding of the government, but I did not give him information that was unConstitutional and I hope that I made him think: I'm a homeschooling freedom-oriented mom that doesn't like to be bothered by Census workers who ask unConstitutional questions. Maybe I'm the only one of those that Joe encountered all day.