Aspie with Attitude

Sure, I'm just another Southern Recovering Alcoholic NPR- and Sweet-Tea Addicted Comic Mom with Asperger's in the SFV, but I can tell you now that I don't necessarily fit the stereotype.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Questions Re: "Taliban in Burbank"

I didn't think my article was yet published and I came to write a comic friend about a show that I may do tonight and I discovered these e-mails, both of which raise important points. I don't write to answer all the questions, but to raise other questions and to help myself understand better. I was so angry about the government's slap on the wallet that I plain old didn't think about something I should have. I was pretty darn rebellious, as I often am. When the government extracts money from many people, we are busy focusing on the punishment and not on the gravity of the situation: Is it safe to talk on the cell phone? If the officer in my escapade had treated me to these couple of paragraphs and let me go, sans padding the coffers of Burbank, I would have been much more likely to listen and to do the safe thing:

With all due respect and a hatred for citations which have more to do with raising revenue than anything else, may I suggest you hang up and drive? You can chit chat with your friends when you're watching the T-ball games. With three kids in the car and the LA traffic you already have a tough job, multi-tasker or not.

When I was a working cop (who gave out tickets only to people who compromised others' safety and financial standing-like red light runners, lane weavers and people with no insurance) I scraped up a lot of people parts and car parts that were put there by people texting and talking while driving.

Sage advice indeed from a retired police officer. I plan to take it. After all, I make sure that my children wear seat belts even though I think that law is just as ridiculous. I received this e-mail that questioned quite a bit:


[W\here were you when they passes the stupid seat belt laws? [W}here were you when they increased the d.u.i. laws to the point of hardship? [W]here were you when they passed the stupid non-smoking laws?? and on and on--and----"they finally came for you"---you have to protect other peoples rights,even though you may not agree with them, to protect your own.

Let's take these questions one at a time:

[W\here were you when they passes the stupid seat belt laws? I was taking a public speaking class as an undergraduate at North Carolina State University. It was one of the first libertarian moments of my life; I remember thinking that seat belts are a fabulous idea. My mind hasn't changed on that one. And I remember thinking how horrid it was that a law had to be passed. After all, nobody had to tell me to wear a seat belt and I didn't grow up wearing one. I had become educated on how wonderful seat belts can be. And I'd even had a good experience with them. But like motorcycle helmet laws and other things that are supposedly for our own good, I couldn't see the point of making a law of it. I wrote a speech about why seat belt laws should not be passed and shared it with my class. It seemed like common sense to me that seat belts and other things inside a private vehicle are the business of that vehicle's owners, but now, only a couple of decades later, everybody accepts the law without question. It's quite sad indeed how much freedom we have lost and nobody seems to care.

[W}here were you when they increased the d.u.i. laws to the point of hardship?

Oh, I wasn't happy about that change either. I was not Internet savvy, being that the Internet had not yet been passed out of government hands and into the hands of so very many. I must admit that at this time I was under the brainwashing of the media, believing that there was really some kind of huge difference between Democrats and Republicans. I was probably not alone in this, but politics became more like a football game to me. Then again, other than writing letters to the editor, which I did from time to time, what was I to do?

[W]here were you when they passed the stupid non-smoking laws??
Yikes! I'm still incensed (sorry!) about this one. I heard on National Propaganda Radio the other day that Arkansas has banned smoking in private cars. I really hope that I was hallucinating. As with seat belts, I'm not much for smoking. In fact, I rather hate it, having grown up in a house filled with secondhand smoke. People, especially women for some strange reason, welcome these laws as if they were warm apple strudel. I can't explain why.

I'm open to ideas on how to protect the rights of myself and others.


No comments: