Aspie with Attitude

Sure, I'm just another Southern Recovering Alcoholic NPR- and Sweet-Tea Addicted Comic Mom with Asperger's in the SFV, but I can tell you now that I don't necessarily fit the stereotype.

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Why Try To Make A Mother Out of Someone Who's Not?

Well, those who've been reading my stuff for a while know that I really don't like the Los Angeles Times, and most other mainstream media outlets. At some times, I'm really reminded of my disdain for the Times. Yesterday morning's headlines "A sentence, and hopes, are lifted in '83 killing," started out as a story about a man convicted of murdering his "mother." However, there is now a question of perhaps his being convicted on "false evidence." Turns out, in one of the pictures at the top of the story, that there is a picture of "Mother and Son," but the caption under it says "Dorka Lisker was not keen about adoption at first but became delighted, her husband said." Ah-ha! We now find out that there is not matricide here, but perhaps a murder of the man's adoptress. The picture, by the way, shows that detached view that so many adoptresses have, that "I'm holding this baby and trying to look pleasant" view that I'd probably have if I were holding someone else's baby. Let's face it: Children are often somewhat disgusting if they're not you're own. In adoption, children are often given to strangers and the strangers feel obliged to love them. Many adopters these days will even say that they love their children as much as or more than if the children were actually their own. This is dubious. I can say, however, growing up with people who loved me a bunch did not make up for the loss of my family; no amount of love can do that. Although both murder situations are tragic, being accused of murdering someone's mother is different than being accused of murdering someone's adoptress.

Even though adoption seemed to figure prominently in the Times' story, according to the picture and its caption, the Times insists on making the adoptress into a mother, not even bothering to call her an "adoptive mother," which would certainly have been more honest. Nope, there are only mere shreds of honesty at the Times, which also eagerly tries to make mothers out of Jamie Lee Curtis, Joan Didion, and others. And so, it doesn't seem to bother anyone at the Times' offices when they fail to state the truth. I guess that's why Times readership, like that of its New York namesake, is going south. I can hardly wait until its readership is so low that it must go out of business. Sure, my father-in-law was just laid off, after 43 years as a photographer, from another big city newspaper. It's very sad for the employees, yes, but as for truth and diverse opinions, losing mainstream media's propaganda machines could hardly be better.

No comments: