Aspie with Attitude

Sure, I'm just another Southern Recovering Alcoholic NPR- and Sweet-Tea Addicted Comic Mom with Asperger's in the SFV, but I can tell you now that I don't necessarily fit the stereotype.

Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Uselessness of Our Elected Representatives

Well, being that the REAL ID had so much success in the state legislatures--please note my italicized sarcasm here--we plebeians now have to worry about the PASS Act. Of course, as it was completely explained to me (along with an accusation that my "husband had just called," which was untrue) by the girl answering the phone in Sen. Daniel Akatta's office. Akatta is on the committee that's trying to pass (get it? there's a pun here, of great proportion) this bill. The girl assured me that if I would only read the entire bill, I would find that the Pass Act is actually dampening some of the effects of the Real ID act. I don't believe her, but boy, was she ever angry at me for not understanding things the way that she did. And no, my husband had not just called. For the record, I'd received an e-mail about this bill and decided to call the committee members and protest it. But at my second phone call, I decided I had better things to do with my day than have someone answering the phone at a senator's office give me the what for. Some say that senators are not supposed to be directly elected by the people and surely, that's the way it was, before the elite deemed the people more powerful than the Founding Fathers intended, around the beginning of the 20th century. Whatever the case, this senator's office was not very nice about things and led me to believe that the good senator was very much for privacy, which is why he's voting for the Pass Act. Why do I even bother?!?

Read Jim Bovard's account of this federal infringement of our rights. Then, think about how you are going to around this invasion of privacy, in which the government can track you wherever you are.

No comments: