Aspie with Attitude

Sure, I'm just another Southern Recovering Alcoholic NPR- and Sweet-Tea Addicted Comic Mom with Asperger's in the SFV, but I can tell you now that I don't necessarily fit the stereotype.

Friday, May 8, 2009

Look Who's Renting A Womb

Wow, it's been about three weeks since I wrote in this blog; I must have been busy!

Nonetheless, I was sad to hear, via reader Jade, that one of my favorite celebrities, Sarah Jessica Parker, is renting a womb. Look, I've followed her ever since Square Pegs and even before, in Annie. What a life, I thought to myself, as she danced with Steve Martin in L.A. Story and dated the now-deceased John Kennedy. I read about how her mother sacrificed so that she could act and take all those artsy classes that I always wanted to take. Her artistic and creative life seemed so very wonderful, especially in comparison to my own, in which I, after many years of wanting to be an artistic soul as a child, finally, after the beginning of my first marriage, summoned the courage, money, and support to follow my dream of taking a writing class and an acting class. Ah, but it is indeed dangerous to compare and I'll take my own mommy life any day over Sarah Jessica Parker's; living with three boys each day sans a nanny or any of the crap that celebrities must do to continue to be celebrities is indeed worth it when I think of how much I like being there, every day, for my babies.

My admiration and respect for Sarah Jessica, however, continued, even through her being named as one of the "unsexiest" people and through Sex and the City, in which she played a writer. Wow, an actress playing a writer--what a dream role. A couple of years after my first son was born, and around the time that I became pregnant with my second, Sarah Jessica had her own son, James Wilkie, whose father was none other than Matthew Broderick. For those who spent way too much time watching television and dreaming of moving to Los Angeles and being on the tube, such as myself, you may remember the show Family, with the totally hot and butch Kristy McNichol as "Buddy." I watched this show, set in Pasadena, every week. How I yearned to have parents like Buddy's, with Broderick's real life father, James, playing the role of Buddy's dad on the show.

I must admit, however, that Sex and the City really began to get to me when Charlotte, who had gone to great lengths to conceive her own child, failed to do so and went looking for a little China girl to buy. I remember turning off the last episode about midway through and I have no interest in seeing the movie.

Now, however, real life has somewhat mimicked the show with Sarah Jessica Parker's hiring of a twenty-something female to have a couple of babies for her and Matthew. In googling this mess, I found some interesting articles, one of which rumored a Sarah Jessica Parker pregnancy around September 2006, shortly after my own first miscarriage. Evidently, she and Matthew had been trying hard to have another child, for quite a while. I can understand her desire to have another child. Whether you have one or twenty children, if you want one more and cannot do so, it is not an easy scene. I've also had a few people suggest that I adopt from China so that I will be assured of getting a girl. But it won't by my girl and I decided long ago that I would do no such thing.

Nor would I ever hire someone else's womb.

In my googling, I also found rumors that she and Matthew have had problems and that a few short months ago, their marriage was in trouble. Rumors had it that he was seeing a twenty-something himself. These things, however, are merely rumors and one never knows to what lengths Sarah Jessica Parker went to in order to give James Wilkie, whom she very openly breastfed, a little brother or sister.

What is even more disappointing than Sarah Jessica's hiring of a womb is her and the media's treatment of the whole thing; meanwhile, the surrogate is looked upon as a thing, a disposable womb that will be paid and tossed aside. Pregnancy, however, is an extremely important part of a child's life and having someone else do the work, regardless of the reason, seems wrong to me. Just plain wrong. This article states that Sarah Jessica is even acting pregnant, drinking water instead of liquor or wine. But isn't all that a little weird? After all, she hired someone to be pregnant for her. Why is she pretending to be pregnant herself?

The whole thing is extremely strange and illustrates the sad fact that celebrities often have more money than sense. I had really admired Sarah Jessica's breastfeeding of her first child and she might even try to breastfeed these babies after they come out of the rent-a-womb. However, the whole thing seems sad and wrong to me. I'm really, really sorry that Matthew and Sarah Jessica, for whatever reason, have not had a second child. However, I've lost a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for her after she jumped, however reluctantly, on the surrogacy/adoption bandwagon.

4 comments:

Cassi said...

Me too!

I've liked Sarah Jessica Parker for so long and then to hear this news. I had a great respect for her and all that she had accomplished but that respect has taken a giant knock backwards now.

Linda Povey said...

So let me get this straight. You're an ex dyke, with some substance abuse issues and according to your other blog, marital and fidelity problems and you are all in a judgmental huff about people adopting orphans? Hahahaaaa! A "thinking" person would come to the conclusion that you need some serious help.

Linda Povey said...

So let me get this straight. You're an ex dyke, with some substance abuse issues and according to your other blog, marital and fidelity problems and you are all in a judgmental huff about people adopting orphans? Hahahaaaa! A "thinking" person would come to the conclusion that you need some serious help.

Linda Povey said...

So let me get this straight. You're an ex dyke, with some substance abuse issues and according to your other blog, marital and fidelity problems and you are all in a judgmental huff about people adopting orphans? Hahahaaaa! A "thinking" person would come to the conclusion that you need some serious help.