Aspie with Attitude

Sure, I'm just another Southern Recovering Alcoholic NPR- and Sweet-Tea Addicted Comic Mom with Asperger's in the SFV, but I can tell you now that I don't necessarily fit the stereotype.

Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Well-Meaning Mother

The road to hell, it is said, is paved with good intentions. While I'm not saying that Mary Rider is going to hell or anything, I am saying that her supposed good intentions leave quite a bit to be desired. In this News and Disturber story, Rider is called a "gentle Garner dissident." She is a mother of eight, one of those children being a mere three years old. Nonetheless, Rider chose to get herself arrested. While I respect her stance regarding the death penalty--she claims that the state has no right to take someone else's life--I do not respect the way that she got herself into trouble. It makes a good deal of sense to me that she has a master's in social work. There is hardly a less useful degree than social work and hardly anything that we need less in our society than those who busy themselves with other people's business. Nonetheless, Rider evidently swallowed all the progressive goobledygunk that was, no doubt, taught to her in her busybody studies at UNC and she has lots of pity on those whom she deems less fortunate than herself. Like many well-meaning supposed liberals, Rider refuses to see prostitutes as the businesswomen that they really are; instead she wishes to place her nose into their business and "help" them:

She said she used to drive down Garner Road and see prostitutes waiting for rides and wonder what she could do to help them. Now she's beginning to see a bit more of what they go through. That she said is not only an opportunity -- it's a gift.

As a former topless dancer, I realize that the selling of sex and women's bodies, whether it's through modeling, dancing, or having the actual sex, is a choice that women make. Why should I feel sorry for those who make that choice?

And if I wanted to see what prostitutes "go through," I would certainly give the profession a try. What passes for progressive thought classifies people in two categories: those who do work deemed proper by those who fancy themselves qualified to deem it, and those who do work deemed improper. The latter category, of course, provides a multitude of people to feel sorry for. What happens with pity is that we begin to believe that there's a certain class of people who can't do. In other words, instead of looking at prostitution as the choice that it is, Rider and her cronies see prostitutes as forced, somehow, to make money selling sex. And as a bonus, Rider, as a trained social wrecker, probably sees no harm at all in the taking of babies from mothers by the $1.5 billion U.S. adoption industry. Therefore, university-trained, socially-accepted jobs, such as government school teachers and lawyers are just fine, but more practical jobs, such as prostitutes and topless dancers, are not.

It's just this kind of attitude that explains Rider's jail sentence. While I do admire her ability to stand up to the state and not pay court penalties, I can't help but wonder why she got herself arrested in the first place. And what good such an arrest will do in showing anything to the state that she supposedly abhors. Still, I can even find myself somewhat okay with the whole thing, if it weren't for this tidbit in the article:

This week she missed her daughter Veronica's first day at Exploris Middle School.

For those of you who haven't checked out this fine globalist piece of work, it comes straight from the United Nations playbook, financed with taxpayer money. Yep, it's an "independent public school," which means that Rider and other so-called progressives are sending their children to this place to be indoctrinated all day in globalist thinking, with little respect for the U.S. Constitution, or for the U.S. itself. I can hardly think of a better way to be a statist than to go to such a school. If she were really interested in defying the state, she could do so more easily, and teach those eight children how to truly be independent thinkers, by either homeschooling or sending them to a private school. Ah, but that wouldn't be very progressive of her, would it?

And then there's the whole idea of mommy in jail. Personally, as much state abuse as I see and write about, I don't want to find myself in jail. Ever. I don't particularly see how a jail sentence could help any of the causes that I espouse, some of which may indeed overlap with Rider's causes. And what's happening with those children that she's raising while mommy's serving time? This kind of thing reminds me of those career-oriented women who become lawyers and such and hire nannies to take care of their children while they traipse off to their jobs as if they were child-free. These women often think that they're showing their children, daughters especially, that mommy can do it all. Meanwhile, their babies care only that mommy is not there most of the day. I can't help but wonder what these children will learn as they grow up with mommy's being absent most of the time. In Rider's case, she's traipsing off to jail for her cause, giving her fingerprints and DNA to the state that she supposedly dislikes. In addition, she probably won't be able to buy a firearm legally to defend herself from said government. And how much is the state going to change as a result of her jail sentence?

I can't help but wonder how much Rider campaigned against or resisted the Real ID, perhaps a more ominous threat to the state of North Carolina than even the death penalty.

Sure, there is a part of me that wants to do more to abolish this police state that we live in. And yes, I think that state power is out of control. And there's no doubt that if the state kills innocent people in the process of the death penalty, that is indeed a horrid thing. But the state kills many innocent people in many ways. Every day. It's hard to see how my getting arrested would help this cause.

Oh, but like successful prostitute Rielle Hunter, Rider will probably get a book deal out of it. Arghhh!

3 comments:

Molly said...

I'm afraid I don't see why you had to bring an unfounded assumption that this woman must support adoption into an otherwise cohesive post...unless the post is about adoption, why bring it up?

Thinking Mama said...

Yeah, I seemed to get a bit off-topic. But then again, I really, really, really find most social wreckers to be trained in a certain way of thinking. Taking children away from mothers is okay with them, giving the supposed choice of adoption or abortion is okay with them, and feeling sorry for others and having lots of pity for those who supposedly cannot do for themselves is okay with them. I think that social wreckers are at best useless and at most, harmful to society. It's one of those things that busybody rich women in the 19th century came up with to try and get moms and families to do what they wanted; I wouldn't doubt that the whole social wrecker craze was started by the elite. It's certainly a great way to control the population and to make women think that they're doing something valuable by nosing into the business of others. Rider's background is indeed important and she sounds like a classic progressive thinker.

I know that there are some social wreckers out there who break the mold; those, I might just admire.

But those who adopt a certain ideology without questioning things--well, that I don't admire so much.

Molly said...

How many social workers do you know personally? Have you worked in social services ever, or are you basing your critique on things you've heard and read? (I ask because I really don't know.) And have you really studied the history of social work? You're right that the profession as we know it originated in the 19th century with the societal problems stemming from the Industrial Revolution, but it was mostly religious organizations who started the work. (This I know, for Wikipedia tells me so.)

Anyway, o
ne of my jobs, as I think I've mentioned, is in an early intervention program, where I work with plenty of social workers, speech therapists, occupational therapists, psychologists etc. I rarely see pity from any of them; I do see a strong desire to help parents help their own children. Nobody's ever happy when one of our kids is taken from his or her family; they get to know the whole family and care about the entire family, not just the kids.

You're in NC, right? Does your DSS/DCFS/whatever the state agency is called there have a volunteer program? Ours (MA) has a program which uses volunteer reviewers for cases...if NC has something similar, that could be an excellent way for you to get involved in keeping families together.

Here's the link to the Massachusetts program:

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2terminal&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Consumer&L2=Volunteering+and+Giving&L3=Ways+to+Make+a+Difference+at+the+Department+of+Children+and+Families&sid=Eeohhs2&b=terminalcontent&f=dss_c_volunteer_case_review&csid=Eeohhs2

And I absolutely agree that people shouldn't subscribe to any ideology wholeheartedly without questioning it, whether it's "all social work is good" or "all adoption is bad". ;)