Aspie with Attitude

Sure, I'm just another Southern Recovering Alcoholic NPR- and Sweet-Tea Addicted Comic Mom with Asperger's in the SFV, but I can tell you now that I don't necessarily fit the stereotype.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Why Do People Still Fly?

The boys and I recently returned from a trip to North Carolina. No TSA agent felt us up, we could take anything we wanted without fear that someone would search us, and we didn't have to worry that something we said may set off a TSA agent, those people who often find it hard to find a job elsewhere. We haven't flown in over two years and we have no plans to do so. When we drove to North Carolina last September, we were in a hotel and I saw on the news that TSA agents had killed a mom of three. Needless to say, I was glad that we were driving. Nonetheless, people still acquiesce to the TSA and pay for the privilege of doing so. I don't know why. The government is bankrupting the airlines, giving flyers no choice but to fly in an atmosphere that Nazi Germany only dreamed of. People are lining up to be searched. It's no secret that the TSA agents are doing lots of things that they shouldn't, including feeling people up. It's strange even that there is no freedom of speech in line to board an airplane. Jokes are equated to bombs in that they are not tolerated. Make no mistake: This kind of thing isn't about stopping any supposed terrorists. It's about controlling the herds and seeing what we will put up with. I've reached my saturation point. I hope that others will soon reach theirs. Here's an excerpt from the article to which I linked:

For arguing with a TSA agent, Robin Kassner wound up being slammed to the floor. She's filed a lawsuit.

"I kept begging them over and over again get off of me ... and they wouldn't stop," Kassner said.

And it wasn't enough for another woman to show TSA agents nipple rings that set off a metal detector. The agents forced her to take them out.

Mandi Hamlin said, "I had to get pliers and pull it apart."

In Chicago, people like Robert Perry are subjected to exhaustive security checks. He was patted down, his wheel chair was examined and his hands were swabbed, all in public view in a see-through room at the security checkpoint. Perry, 71, is not alone

"It's humiliation," Perry said.

Perry was also taken to a see-through room by a TSA agent when his artificial knee set off the metal detector.


'nuff said.

1 comment:

Molly said...

I fly because it would take two days and either a lot of driving or an expensive train ticket to visit my parents otherwise.

I do enjoy the train, mind you, but I can't afford the time or the money at the moment.